Am I eligible to apply?
Do you want to know if you are eligible to apply for an EU career? Here, you will find out what the minimum eligibility criteria are for applying to an EU post. We also explain what the basic language requirements are for applying to an EU vacancy.
To be eligible to apply for an open competition or selection procedure you must:
- be a citizen of an EU country
- be entitled to full rights as an EU citizen
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed on you by the laws concerning military service in your country
- have thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages (Level C1) and satisfactory knowledge of a second (Level B2) official EU language
- for language competitions, you must have a perfect knowledge of one official EU language (Level C2) and a thorough knowledge of a second and third (Level C1) official EU language
See below for details.
You must also meet any specific requirements set out in the relevant competition notice or call for expression of interest regarding qualifications and professional experience. Please see our guidelines on professional experience and examples of types of qualifications accepted.
Minimum educational requirements vary according to the position.
- all non-graduate positions (function group I, manual and administrative support; assistant-level/function groups II – clerical/secretarial/office management, function group III - administrative/advisory/ linguistic/technical) require (at least) that you have completed secondary education
- all graduate positions (administrator-level/function group IV) require at least that you have completed university education (of three years).
Relevant work experience may be required in some cases.
There is no age limit to apply for an EU post, however, officials are automatically retired at 65. For more details, read the Staff Regulations of EU officials